'Misuse of smoking materials' caused fatal Logan Square blaze: f - FOX 32 News Chicago

'Misuse of smoking materials' caused fatal Logan Square blaze: fire official

Posted: Updated:
The second floor unit has been vacant for more than six months, officials said. / Photo from NVP. The second floor unit has been vacant for more than six months, officials said. / Photo from NVP.
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) - A blaze thought to have been caused by misuse of smoking materials in the Logan Square neighborhood Thursday night left one woman dead and two men hospitalized.

About 11:40 p.m., firefighters responded to a second story blaze at a vacant apartment in the 3400 block of West Armitage, Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said.

A woman, thought to be in her 40s, was taken to Norwegian Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after midnight, authorities said. The woman's identity remains unknown Friday afternoon, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. An autopsy Friday was inconclusive.

Both men were taken to Stroger Hospital, Langford said. One man is in critical condition while the other's condition stabilized. Their exact ages were not available.

The building has been vacant for more than six months, Langford said. The blaze originated on a mattress and is thought to have been caused by misuse of smoking materials.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices