Local families still waiting for GM compensation - FOX 32 News Chicago

Local families still waiting for GM compensation

Posted: Updated:
  • GM RecallMore>>

  • GM issues 6 more safety recalls

    GM issues 6 more safety recalls

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:00 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:00:12 GMT
    General Motors issued six more recalls on Wednesday, bringing its annual total to 60 recalls covering almost 30 million vehicles.
    General Motors issued six more recalls on Wednesday, bringing its annual total to 60 recalls covering almost 30 million vehicles.
  • Local families still waiting for GM compensation

    Local families still waiting for GM compensation

    Thursday, July 17 2014 7:19 PM EDT2014-07-17 23:19:37 GMT
    As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.
    As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.
  • GM says it's replaced 491,000 ignition switches

    GM says it's replaced 491,000 ignition switches

    Thursday, July 17 2014 2:52 PM EDT2014-07-17 18:52:11 GMT
    General Motors says it has replaced faulty ignition switches on just under 20 percent of 2.6 million small cars that are being recalled. The company has repaired just over 491,000 cars that are covered by the recall announced in February.
    General Motors says it has replaced faulty ignition switches on just under 20 percent of 2.6 million small cars that are being recalled. The company has repaired just over 491,000 cars that are covered by the recall announced in February.
(WJBK) - As the investigation into GM's deadly recalls continues with a compensation fund set up for families affected, questions come of who qualifies and who doesn't.

"We will compensate the innocent victims of this tragedy," compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg said.

Feinberg testifying during the General Motors second Senate hearing Thursday along with GM CEO Mary Barra. Barra said she wants to recognize the families who lost loved ones, but attorney Dani Liblang in Birmingham who represents more than a dozen families affected by the recall says that answer isn't good enough.

"It really doesn't make sense to me and I would like a better answer than what I have heard so far," Liblang said.

Liblang says some families who have been seriously injured or who have lost loved ones still don't qualify for the victim compensation fund, although she says the same results occurred.

GM spokesperson Ryndee Carney reiterated the company's stance Thursday and said the families eligible are only a part of the original recall.

But as Barra and Feinberg testify that GM has no limits on what it would pay to families affected, Liblang's firm sent a letter to Feinberg asking him to expand the scope of the program and believes that GM really wants to make it right.

"They need to take the next step and that is to compensate the families that have been injured in the same way for the same reasons and suffered the same devastating loss," Liblang said.

Feinberg says for those families who do qualify, claims will be taken beginning August 1.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices