Charges: Verizon store employee sexted at least 6 teenage girls - FOX 32 News Chicago

Charges: Verizon store employee sexted at least 6 teenage girls

Posted: Updated:
HUDSON, Wis. (KMSP) -

Police in both Minnesota and Wisconsin are investigating a Verizon cell phone store employee for sending lewd photos and messages to the phones of teenage girls who were his customers.

So far, 6 victims have come forward and it’s possible the list of victims will grow even larger. (UPDATE: Since this story aired on July 7, Hudson police say 7 more potential victims have come forward).

In court documents, investigators said they found 31-year-old Barton Scott had some 20 sheets of paper in his possession, including the names of what appeared to be female customers and their email addresses, usernames and passwords. They also confiscated at least 6 cell phones and multiple tablets.

Investigators insist the text messages and photos were unwanted. They were said to be lewd, disgusting and sent to phones belonging to teenage girls. The young women allegedly came into contact with Scott at area cell phone stores, mostly at the Verizon outlet in Hudson, Wis.

According to court documents, Scott helped the families with their new phones, or with devices that needed repairs. Hudson Police Chief Marty Jensen said at least 6 young women and their families have filed complaints.

"Obviously, parents are very upset about this,” Chief Jensen said. “You get a phone for your daughter. Then you get these text messages and the images on it. It's a violation of trust."

Scott apparently squirreled away phone numbers and passwords of his soon-to-be victims, eventually sending dirty messages to them, including photos of his genitalia. In one case, Scott allegedly used his own phone number that he had handed out on his Verizon business card. Other times, he would hide his identity behind random email addresses, including surfdude_23 and iamonlyhuman@icloud.com.

St. Croix County District Attorney Eric Johnson recently filed felony charges against Scott, including two counts of exposing a child to harmful material.

"You have to be careful who you share your personal information with,” Johnson said. “Social security numbers, passwords, whatever. Here’s what makes it unusual. The person sharing it with is someone you should share with. I think people have to be careful with information regardless of the situation."

Verizon on Monday said Barton Scott no longer works for the company.

The charges filed against Scott include at least one allegation from his time as an employee at a Sprint store in Maple Grove, Minn. Investigators are asking anyone who has had inappropriate contact with Scott to contact police.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • When hope was gone, parents turned to Google to save baby

    When hope was gone, parents turned to Google to save baby

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 9:15 PM EDT2014-08-28 01:15:47 GMT

    They were told by multiple doctors that there was no way to save their baby. That's when they took matters into their own hands, and it ended up being the right choice.

    They were told by multiple doctors that there was no way to save their baby. That's when they took matters into their own hands, and it ended up being the right choice.

  • 28 new foods at Minnesota State Fair in 2014

    28 new foods at Minnesota State Fair in 2014

    Wednesday, June 25 2014 2:57 PM EDT2014-06-25 18:57:53 GMT
    The Minnesota State Fair is adding 28 new foods to the already massive, artery-clogging list of 500 foods from 300 different vendors. New food include everything from a bacon-wrapped turkey leg and beer gelato to a shrimp dog and chocolate salami.
    The Minnesota State Fair is adding 28 new foods to the already massive, artery-clogging list of 500 foods from 300 different vendors. New food include everything from a bacon-wrapped turkey leg and beer gelato to a shrimp dog and chocolate salami.
  • 'My cousin isn't a terrorist'

    'My cousin isn't a terrorist'

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 12:32 PM EDT2014-08-27 16:32:31 GMT
    State Department officials say a man once known as Douglas McCain, who attended Twin Cities area high schools 15 years ago, died in Syria while fighting for the terror group ISIS over the weekend -- but his cousin tells Fox 9 News she spoke to him just last Friday via Facebook and doesn't believe it.
    State Department officials say a man once known as Douglas McCain, who attended Twin Cities area high schools 15 years ago, died in Syria while fighting for the terror group ISIS over the weekend -- but his cousin tells Fox 9 News she spoke to him just last Friday via Facebook and doesn't believe it.
Widgets Magazine
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices