Stolen Corvette returned to owner after 33 years - FOX 32 News Chicago

Stolen Corvette returned to owner after 33 years

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -- It was the early 1980s last time a Detroit man saw his silver 1979 Corvette.  Now, after 33 years George Talley was finally reunited with his prized vehicle Tuesday morning.

The car was stolen on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit in 1981 and hadn't been seen since.

On June 13 of this year, Talley received a call from AAA in Mississippi.  They told him that someone tried to register the Vehicle Identification Number at the Mississippi Department of Transportation, but found out that it had already been registered to Talley and would be waiting for him to pick it up.

Talley was excited, but transporting the car back to Detroit was going to be expensive and he didn't know what to do.

When GM Executive Mark Ruess heard about the story, he knew what he had to do.  He arranged for Chevrolet to bring the vehicle back home to Detroit.

The car was unveiled Tuesday morning at the GM Headquarters in downtown Detroit.  Talley wanted to see the car in its original condition, so they didn't clean it up.

It arrived with dust and dirt on the hood and cassette tapes still in the glove compartment.  But when he put the keys in the ignition it started!

"I was just excited it started," Talley said, "I'm overwhelmed really."

Talley plans to clean and fix up the Corvette on his own.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:34:31 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:01:04 GMT
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices