Fireworks are a traditional way to celebrate America around the 4th of July, but they can also be dangerous. Every year almost nine thousand people are treated for fire works related injuries. One way to stay safe is to leave the fireworks to the professionals by attending a public show.
If you choose to set off your own fireworks, the experts with the Kohl's Injury Prevention Program at the Children's Hospital of Michigan offer these safety tips and reminders:
- Always purchase fireworks from reputable sellers, and read and follow labeled directions.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Always have a bucket of water handy to extinguish anything that may have accidentally become ignited.
- Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then depositing them into a trash can.
Remember fireworks are not toys, so an adult should always be present when fireworks are being used.
Sparklers are NOT SAFE for young children even though they are sold as a safe fire work for children. Sparklers present a silent danger. Sparklers do not blow up and they do not have trajectory but they do get very hot. A typical sparkler can burn at temperatures up to 1,800 degrees. Such temperatures can quickly start fires and at close range can burn skin and eyes. Think about it this way glass melts at temperatures starting at 1400 degrees, so imagine what a sparkler can do to skin. This is the most prevalent fire work injury we see at CHM during the 4th of July holiday.
205 N. Michigan Avenue
Didn't find what you were looking for?