Prep time: 5 minutes Yield: 2 servings
· 8 ounces pomegranate juice
· ¼ cup strawberries
· ¼ cup blackberries
· ¼ cup blood orange, peeled
· ½ cup blueberry yogurt
· 1 cup crushed ice
· Agave nectar, pure maple syrup or honey (optional, to taste)
1. In a blender, add the pomegranate juice, strawberries, blackberries, and blood orange. Cover and blend on high until the fruits are well mixed.
2. Add the yogurt and crushed ice, and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
3. Taste and add agave nectar, maple syrup, or honey, if needed. Start with a tablespoon and blend again. Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.
Per serving: Calories 172 (From Fat 8); Fat 1g (Saturated 0g); Cholesterol 4mg; Sodium 38mg; Carbohydrate 39g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 3g.
Tasty Garden Greens – Mexican Bean Salad with Lime Dressing
Prep time: 5 minutes Yield: 4 servings
· Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 ½ cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
· 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
· 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
· 4 scallions, ends trimmed and diced
· ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
· Lime Dressing (see the following recipe)
· 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, red bell pepper, tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro. Pour the Lime Dressing over them and mix together. Then gently mix in the avocado.
2. Serve at room temperature or cold.
· ¼ cup fresh lime juice (3 or 4 limes)
· ½ cup olive oil
· 1 tablespoon agave
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· ½ teaspoon salt
· ? teaspoon chili powder
1. In a small bowl mix all the ingredients until well blended.
Per serving: Calories 249 (From Fat 93); Fat 10g (Saturated 2g); cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 79mg; Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 13g); Protein 10g.
Note: If you make this salad ahead of time, wait until just before serving to mix in the tomato, avocado, and cilantro. This prevents the tomato and avocado from breaking down and causing a mushy texture, and it retains the cilantro’s fresh flavor.
Sweet Treat, Energy Boost - Cookie Dough Energy Balls
Prep time: 5 minutes?Yield: 14 servings
· ? cup natural peanut butter
· ¼ cup honey
· 1 scoop chocolate or vanilla whey protein powder
· 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
· 3 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips
· 3 tablespoons wheat germ
1. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except for the wheat germ. The dough should resemble Play-Doh.
2. Roll into 14 small balls and then roll balls in the wheat germ to coat. Refrigerate overnight for best results.
Per serving: Calories 87 (From Fat 40); Fat 4g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 2 mg; Sodium 9mg; Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 4g.
Tip: If you don’t have any wheat germ there are plenty of other roll toppings to use. Some options include flaxseeds, chia seeds, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, toasted sunflower seeds and toasted coconut flakes.
Vary it! Feel free to experiment with other nut butters, including almond and cashew. If you don’t want to use dark chocolate chips, consider trying some chopped fruit.