Cardinal George released from hospital - FOX 32 News Chicago

Cardinal George released from hospital

Posted: Updated:
MAYWOOD, Ill. (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

Cardinal Francis George was released from Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood on Friday, the Archdiocese of Chicago said.

George, 77, had been admitted there a week earlier due to flu-like symptoms and dehydration, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

"An infection was identified, and he is being treated with antibiotics," the archdiocese said in a statement.

George, who has cancer, will resume his chemotherapy when his doctors feel it is appropriate and will continue to maintain his administrative and public schedule, the archdiocese said.

George revealed earlier this month that he was undergoing chemotherapy to treat signs of cancer surrounding his right kidney, and that the cancer is expected to be the eventual cause of his death.

George was diagnosed with cancer in August 2012 and underwent chemotherapy at that time. His cancer had been dormant for more than a year.

George had radical surgery to remove his cancerous bladder, prostate and part of his right ureter in July of 2006. He spent 19 days at Loyola University Medical Center and emerged cancer-free.

He submitted his letter of resignation in 2012, as all bishops are required to do when they reach 75 years of age. At the time, he said he hoped to remain at the helm of the Chicago archdiocese for a few more years. Pope Francis has yet to accept George's resignation. But in January, archdiocese spokeswoman Colleen Dolan said it likely would be six to 12 months before that occurs.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices