Driver beware: You could be ticketed for spinning out - FOX 32 News Chicago

Driver beware: You could be ticketed for spinning out

Posted: Updated:
(WJBK) -

If your car spins out and gets stuck in the snow and police show up, you could be cited for "Violating Basic Speed Law/Too Fast." That citation carries a $90 fine and two driving points on your license.

Michigan State Police say spinning out alone is enough to determine a person was driving too fast, since other vehicles are typically able to drive past the spot without incident.

"People sometimes believe the fact that once it snows on the ground, I'm no longer responsible for anything that happens in my car or what my car does. And that is not correct. You are responsible for you vehicle," says Michigan State Police Lt. Michael Shaw.

This is not just a Michigan State Police law. any law officer in the state of Michigan is capable of writing you a ticket for spinning out.

Do you agree with the law?

SOUND OFF in the comments section below.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Two teens shot and killed on Detroit's west side

Monday, September 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:20:04 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of two teenagers -- a boy and a girl -- were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Man claims he was beaten by discount store clerk

Sunday, August 31 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:56:19 GMT
    "He put his hand on me and slammed me into the racks, put me in a (mixed martial arts) arm bar, then put me in a choke hold," Lacey Wheeler said.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps

• FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices