How do you report a pothole? Depends on who you ask - FOX 32 News Chicago

How do you report a pothole? Depends on who you ask

Posted: Updated:

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (WJBK) -- Macomb county's campaign to quickly deal with potentially car-damaging potholes is drawing resistance from state police.

Executive Mark Hackel unveiled the campaign Wednesday asking motorists to call 911 if they spot a bad pothole and guaranteeing a response within an hour.

"People are already calling 911 when they see these hazards in the roadway," Hackel said on FOX 2 News Morning. "What we're trying to tell the public is when those calls come into our 911 centers in Macomb County, we are responding with our department of roads within an hour."

Later in the day, however, state police Lt. Michael A. Shaw issued a statement asking that the public not be directed to "tie up 911 lines" with pothole calls. He says pothole problems should be directed to a state hotline, a state website or the appropriate local road agency.

To report potholes to MDOT on routes beginning with an "I", "US-" or "M-" call 888-296-4546 or log on to

Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham says he's OK with 911 calls in his county for hazardous potholes, since they're like any other road problem.

For non-hazardous potholes, Macomb County says call the road department at 586-463-8671.

-- The Associated Press contributed to this report

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices