Michigan jury convicts man of firing gun along I-96 - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

Michigan jury convicts man of firing gun along I-96

Posted: Updated:
(Credit: WJBK|myFOXDetroit.com) Raulie Casteel in court January 15 (Credit: WJBK|myFOXDetroit.com) Raulie Casteel in court January 15
HOWELL, Mich. (AP) -

A man who said he opened fire on motorists along a busy southeast Michigan highway because he believed they were part of a government conspiracy against him was convicted Wednesday of terrorism, assault and other charges.
 
A jury deliberated over parts of two days before reaching a verdict against Raulie Casteel, 44, of Wixom. He faces up to life in prison.
 
Casteel told jurors Monday in Livingston County Circuit Court in Howell that he was filled with fear and anxiety while in traffic, most likely from undiagnosed delusional and paranoid thinking.
 
During questioning from his lawyer, Charles Groh, the defendant conceded that he fired at cars along the Interstate 96 corridor, but that he "absolutely" did not intend to hurt or terrorize any of the drivers.
 
"I saw a long line of traffic, felt fear and anxiety and shot," Casteel testified, describing one of the October 2012 shootings that took place in four counties, forced schoolchildren inside during recess and had the area on edge for weeks.
 
"I can't testify to the number, but I did fire at cars, yes," said Casteel, who added that he kept a handgun on the floorboard near his right leg.
 
In one instance, Casteel testified that Jennifer Kupiec, who had been tailgating him on I-96 then passed his car on the right, agitated him to the point that he picked up the gun, rolled down the passenger side window and fired at Kupiec's car.
 
Under questioning from assistant attorney general Gregory Townsend, Casteel said he never thought about the ramifications of the shootings, only that he wanted "to send a message to back off."
 
Casteel contested the terrorism and assault with intent to murder charges, but not firearms charges, in connection with the nearly two dozen shootings. Police said they matched his gun to bullet fragments recovered from victims' vehicles.
 
Casteel was the only witness called by the defense.
 
Last year, Casteel pleaded no contest but mentally ill to assault and firearms charges in Oakland County in connection to related shootings that took place there. He faces up to 12 years in prison when he is sentenced Thursday. A no contest plea isn't an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes. The mental illness allows him to get treatment in prison.

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices