12 hospitalized after Skokie carbon monoxide leak - FOX 32 News Chicago

12 hospitalized after Skokie carbon monoxide leak

Posted: Updated:
SKOKIE, Ill. (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

A dozen people were hospitalized after a malfunctioning furnace caused a carbon monoxide leak early Thursday at an apartment building in north suburban Skokie.

A resident of the building in the 8000 block of Keating Avenue called 911 shortly before 2:30 a.m. to report people feeling ill, according to a statement from Skokie police.

When police and fire officials arrived, they realized that a carbon monoxide leak had occurred, police said.

Twelve people, including several children, were evacuated and taken to hospitals for observation and treatment, authorities said.

None were in serious or critical condition, and all are expected to recover, according to the Skokie Fire Department.

Police provided vehicles to keep the remaining residents warm until alternative housing could be arranged, according to the statement.

The leak was caused by a faulty, malfunctioning gas furnace, according to the Fire Department.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices