Gillette donates $100K to One Fund as Sox stars lose their beards
BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) - Red Sox players David Ortiz and Shane Victorino shed their playoff beards Monday in a promotion at Gillette headquarters in Boston.
Gillette officials announced they planned to donate $100,000 to the One Fund in honor of the World Series champions. All One Fund donations are given to victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.
After getting a shave, Victorino told reporters the team wanted to play as a brotherhood and the tragedies the city faced in the last year brought them together. He also joked, saying he felt like he was 12 years old again without his facial hair.
Ortiz told reporters when it comes to the One Fund, the Red Sox are all about raising money to help people out.
Joining the Sox stars at the charity event was city policeman Steve Horgan, who was stationed in the Red Sox bullpen at Fenway Park. He became a fixture in Beantown after he was photographed with his arms in the air celebrating Ortiz's grand slam in the AL championship series against Detroit.
Michael Grant, a Sox fan chosen on social media, also took part in the shave-off.
The Red Sox players' beards became a symbol of their solidarity as they went from worst in the AL East last year to first this year by winning the team's third World Series title in a decade.
205 N. Michigan Avenue Ground Floor Chicago, IL 60601 Station Operator: (312) 565-5532 Newsroom: (312)565-5533