ACE Tech Charter High School serves approximately 500 students from Chicago's Back of the Yards, Washington Park and Englewood neighborhoods on Chicago's south side. ACE Tech was founded in 2004 to increase the number of urban, low-income, minority and female youth who enter the architecture, construction, and engineering professions. While many students are interested in these professions, ACE Tech caters to students with a wide variety of interests and aspirations. The student body demographic is 66% Black and 28% Hispanic. 95% of students are low income and 15% are in special education programs. ACE Tech's mission is to provide for our students the highest levels of instruction and academic achievement combined with exemplary character development that will prepare them for post secondary and apprenticeship education and sustained lifelong success.
Description of Position
ACE Tech Charter High School is seeking a dedicated educator and school leader to serve as a Special Education Teacher. The position requires a candidate deeply committed to teaching students to problem solving while building literacy skills. We are seeking candidates that view teaching as leadership, collaborate well with others, and can manage both details and relationships. We are also seeking an advocate for students with special needs who can ensure compliance to IEPs and LRE settings. This position requires teaching self-contained World History classes as well as co-teaching in English and Science classes.
* Ensure compliance with all LRE for special education population, including collaborating on scheduling
* Ensure compliance with all testing modifications
* Plan, Evaluate, and Implement IEP meetings
* Design or implement/modify curriculum appropriate for given content and grade level. Create a year-long scope and sequence of the units that will be covered during your class within approximate time frames
* Create detailed unit plans using backwards planning, Understanding by Design, in which the goals of the unit (content and skill standards) and their assessment are the starting point for planning
* Participate in curriculum development and feedback systems in order to ensure long term planning and effective feedback loops.
* Plan for and teach three block periods of your main content class and one forty-minute period elective class. There are approximately 25 students in each section. In some cases, teachers will have co-teaching assignments in an inclusion classroom.
* Use best practices in the classroom to engage students and drive student achievement
* Create and maintain a fair grading system, updating student grades once a week
* Monitor attendance, grades and behavior of all students (approximately 75 students per semester) and keep parents updated on student struggles and progress
* Participate in required staff meetings:
◦ Weekly department meeting
◦ Bi-weekly grade level meetings
◦ Bi-weekly professional development
* Attend summer professional development opportunities and curriculum planning workshops.
Qualifications and Traits
* Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university in a physical or life English
* Valid Illinois Teaching Certificate
* At least 2 years of teaching experience in an urban high school setting is preferred
Desired traits include:
* Exemplary rapport with students and colleagues
* Hard worker that does whatever it takes to achieve desired results
* Enjoys being part of a team
* Passionate about the opportunity to positively affect student outcomes and school culture
* Case Manager
* Assistant Principal
Respond to this ad: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/edu/4149574652.html