Second suspicious fire at Heidelberg Project - FOX 32 News Chicago

Second suspicious fire at Heidelberg Project

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

A second suspicious fire in six months was reported Saturday at Detroit's funky, urban art installation, the Heidelberg Project.

The blaze destroyed a building known as "The OJ House" (for obstruction of justice). It's the same place where another fire appears to have been set in May.

Click on the video player to watch Randy Wimbley's report.

We found people from various cities and states checking out the Heidelberg Project. Some were shocked to see the damage from the fire and the pile of rubble left behind.

Right now, investigators don't have much to go on. They're asking anyone with information to come forward. The OJ House was built to protest the actions of former Mayor Coleman Young. In 1991, Young's administration leveled abandoned homes that were part of the project.

The Heidelberg Project started in 1986. It attracts visitors from around the world. Artist Tyree Guyton was too upset to talk about the fire on-camera, but he tells Fox 2 he plans to rebuild the structure.

On Sunday, Guyton began working with volunteers to clear the ruins and turn the wreckage into art.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Detroiter upset when installed security system fails during second break-in

    Detroiter upset when installed security system fails during second break-in

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:12 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:12:36 GMT
    A Detroit home owner is upset after thieves ransacked his home for a second time.
    A Detroit home owner is upset after thieves ransacked his home for a second time.
  • Michigan girl mauled by racoon receives wave of support

    Michigan girl mauled by racoon receives wave of support

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-07-29 20:52:22 GMT
    She told us all she wanted was to wear earrings -- and now she's got a lot of options. We'll show you how Charlotte is healing after surgery to replace her ear... and how you've made a difference. Her story includes a tragic accident, but also a tremendous outpouring of support. The 12-year-old girl from western Michigan who was attacked by a raccoon, shows us how the generosity of others is helping her heal. "This is all the jewelry people sent me," she said. Dozens of pairs of earrings and ...
    She told us all she wanted was to wear earrings -- and now she's got a lot of options. We'll show you how Charlotte is healing after surgery to replace her ear... and how you've made a difference. Her story includes a tragic accident, but also a tremendous outpouring of support. The 12-year-old girl from western Michigan who was attacked by a raccoon, shows us how the generosity of others is helping her heal. "This is all the jewelry people sent me," she said. Dozens of pairs of earrings and ...
  • Funeral arrangements set for murdered Armada teen

    Funeral arrangements set for murdered Armada teen

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 4:36 PM EDT2014-07-29 20:36:17 GMT
    Funeral arrangements have been set for the 14-year-old murdered in Armada last week. Meanwhile, investigators are still looking for a suspect.
    Funeral arrangements have been set for the 14-year-old murdered in Armada last week. Meanwhile, investigators are still looking for a suspect.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices