Emanuel: Chicago shooting 'senseless and brazen' - FOX 32 News Chicago

Emanuel: Chicago shooting 'senseless and brazen'

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Associated Press) -

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says whoever opened fire on 13 people in a southwest side park "will be brought to justice."

In a statement issued Friday, the mayor called the shooting "senseless" and "brazen." He says the attacks "have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for."

Police say 13 people, including a 3-year-old and two teenagers, were wounded late Thursday when gunfire rang out by a basketball court in the city's Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Family members of the preschooler say he's recovering after surgery. He was hit in the cheek.

So far, police haven't made any arrests. But they say the shooting was likely gang related.

Emanuel was supposed to attend a campaign rally in New Jersey on Friday, but canceled after the shooting.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices