An important piece of history dear to decades of Georgia's military families has a new home.
The Dobbins Reserve Base chapel was saved from near demolition thanks to the tireless efforts of a private organization.
The chapel, that has been the spiritual home to Dobbins airmen and their families for more than 60 years, was relocated during a special ceremony Sunday morning.
The military deployed the historic sanctuary to Europe during World War II where it was used by a fighter group in Germany.
The Georgia Air National Guard acquired it through private donations and moved it to Dobbins in 1950 and dedicated it to the veterans of that war.
After September 11th, the chapel's future grew uncertain given that the base was not authorized to have a chapel. But thanks to a non-profit organization formed as the Dobbins Chapel Foundation in 2005, the treasure was saved.
In January, just weeks away from demolition, the group raised the private funds needed to have it spared.
The beloved chapel taxied across the runway Sunday morning, relocating to its new home on the base housing the Clay National Guard Center.
205 N. Michigan Avenue Ground Floor Chicago, IL 60601 Station Operator: (312) 565-5532 Newsroom: (312)565-5533