Detroit man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning - FOX 32 News Chicago

Detroit man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:

By Alexis Wiley
Fox 2 News


DETROIT (WJBK) -- What a mother discovered inside her home Wednesday morning should serve as a reminder to all of us.  She left the house on Detroit's west side Tuesday evening and returned to find her 54-year-old son dead in his bed, as well as her two dogs.  The killer?  Carbon monoxide.

The home had an oil burning furnace, something neighbors say is not unusual in older homes.  Apparently the furnace was not ventilating properly and carbon monoxide filled the house.

Investigators say the family never knew because they did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

"I couldn't believe it.  I was very, very sadden," says neighbor Kirk Wilson.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is completely preventable if you have a working carbon monoxide detector.  You also need to make sure to check your furnace every single year regardless of its age.

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices