Body stolen from Detroit cemetery before it could be buried - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

Body stolen from Detroit cemetery before it could be buried

Posted: Updated:

By Amy Lange
Fox 2 News


DETROIT (WJBK) -- Gethsemane Cemetery on Detroit's east side is in the business of burying the dead, but an elderly man's body set to be laid to rest didn't make it into the ground.

We're told his funeral was held on Saturday.  His casket was stored in the mausoleum until Monday.

A source told us a cemetery worker had wheeled the casket out of the mausoleum for burial, but evidently was distracted by something and when he looked back, it was gone.

Police told us the man's son is believed to have stolen the casket, sliding it into his van and driving away with it around 10:00 a.m.  Why is still unclear, but we're told he purchased a large deep freezer and put it in the alley behind his house to place the body inside.  Detroit Police were searching for the son of the deceased.

The sign out front says the cemetery is under surveillance.  We tried checking in at the office for more information, but we were told it's under investigation and no comment.

  • Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

  • New lawyer comes aboard in Bashara case

    New lawyer comes aboard in Bashara case

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-04-15 22:33:50 GMT
    A man charged with arranging the murder of his wife at their suburban Detroit home has a new lawyer.
    A man charged with arranging the murder of his wife at their suburban Detroit home has a new lawyer.
  • Mary Barra speaks with industry insiders ahead of NY auto show

    Mary Barra speaks with industry insiders ahead of NY auto show

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-04-15 21:39:46 GMT
    General Motors CEO Mary Barra spoke with industry insiders this week ahead of the auto show in New York.
    General Motors CEO Mary Barra spoke with industry insiders this week ahead of the auto show in New York.
  • Utash talking more, confused after awaking from coma

    Utash talking more, confused after awaking from coma

    Monday, April 14 2014 5:17 PM EDT2014-04-14 21:17:50 GMT
    Steven Utash, the suburban Detroit motorist brutally beaten after he stopped to help a boy he accidentally hit with his pickup truck, continues his lengthy recovery after waking from a coma on Friday. Utash had been in a medically induced coma for days following the April 2 incident on Detroit's east side.His son, Joseph Utash, tells FOX 2's Amy Lange his father has moments of clarity, along with moments of confusion. Joseph says his father is confused about where he works, among other things...
    Steven Utash, the suburban Detroit motorist brutally beaten after he stopped to help a boy he accidentally hit with his pickup truck, continues his lengthy recovery after waking from a coma on Friday. Utash had been in a medically induced coma for days following the April 2 incident on Detroit's east side.His son, Joseph Utash, tells FOX 2's Amy Lange his father has moments of clarity, along with moments of confusion. Joseph says his father is confused about where he works, among other things...
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices