Carbon monoxide leak in Skokie hospitalizes 6 - FOX 32 News Chicago

Carbon monoxide leak in Skokie hospitalizes 6

Posted: Updated:
SKOKIE, Ill. (FOX 32 News) -

Six people have been rushed to the hospital because of a carbon monoxide leak in Skokie.

Five adults and one child were taken to a Skokie Hospital after becoming sick around 8:30 a.m. Friday. They all are expected to fully recover.

The Skokie Fire Dept spent the morning at the Old Orchard Residences in the 10,000 block of Old Orchard Court. They are still trying to find a cause of high levels of carbon monoxide found inside.

"We ensured all 48 units were evacuated. We called in our resources, police, building department, gas company and - of course - property management to look at the circumstances of what's going on," Dept. Chief Barry Liss said. "At this point, it is still under investigation. We don't know the cause of the leak that caused the illnesses, but property management, our building department and persons from the fire prevention bureau remain on the scene."

Forty-eight apartments were affected by this carbon monoxide leak, and residents were not allowed back into their homes as of noon on Friday.

The main reason for that decision is - the heat is not on. Officials said residents won't be allowed to come back in for good for at least four to five hours.

More than 12 other residents were taken to a warming area while fire officials conducted their investigation.

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices