Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years - FOX 32 News Chicago

Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years

Posted: Updated:
Bob Bashara at his sentencing Monday in Detroit (Credit: Fox 2 News) Bob Bashara at his sentencing Monday in Detroit (Credit: Fox 2 News)

By Amy Lange
Fox 2 News

DETROIT (WJBK) -- "Throughout my life, I have tried to help those less fortunate," Bob Bashara told Judge Bruce Morrow on Monday.

Once seemingly a pillar of his tony Grosse Pointe Park community, a Rotarian who donated a million pounds of food,
clothing and books to those in need, Bashara asked for leniency from the judge in his sentencing.  He had earlier pled guilty to trying to have accused hit man Joseph Gentz killed.

"My name on a plaque means nothing to me.  What does mean something is being able to use your talents and your skills to help those less fortunate," said Bashara.

As his mother and other relatives looked on, prosecutors said Bashara showed no remorse and took no responsibility for his actions.  He disagreed.

"If someone is in my way, the solution is not to follow the rules of ordered society, but to hire someone to kill the person in my way, and that is what he did to Mr. Gentz," said Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran.

"I understand that I must pay for what I have done and absolutely stand before you and my family and the world to take responsibility for my actions," Bashara said.

Gentz, who is accused of killing Bashara's wife Jane back in January and claims Bob paid him to do it, had Susan Reed, his attorney, read his statement.

"I have been telling the truth from the beginning.  Bob has used me and threatened me.  He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed," Gentz's statement said.  "I was afraid for my life because he said he could get to me anywhere, even in jail."

In the end, the judge showed no leniency.

"I'm of the opinion that he should receive a sentence of 80 months to 240 months," Morrow said.

That's a minimum of six years and eight months to 20 years behind bars.

Bashara seemed to sit in court in disbelief.

"It's difficult.  Very emotional.  I mean, this is not an easy thing to go through, obviously," said Mark Kriger, his attorney.

The judge told Bashara he does get credit for time served, which is 168 days.

Up next is the trial for Joseph Gentz.  Meanwhile, it is still unclear whether or not Bashara will be charged in the murder of his wife.

• Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

Charges to be determined after teen dies in car crash

Monday, July 28 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:59:07 GMT
    Seven teenagers were on their way back from a bonfire late Friday night. A 16-year-old girl was behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition with her mom also in the car.

Fire from lightning strike devastates Roseville church

Monday, July 28 2014 7:21 PM EDT2014-07-28 23:21:36 GMT
    A raging fire happens in Roseville and of all places to be struck by lightning - the steeple of the New Life Church of God in Christ.Pastor Darrell Moore and his family are devastated."I got here and I found out I really didn't have a church anymore, " he said. Moore was attending a Sunday evening service at another church, when a member of new life called him repeatedly. When he finally answered, it was bad news."The fire department was here, there was water everywhere," said Mary Moore, mot...

How to handle a dog attack

Friday, July 25 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-25 21:48:45 GMT
    After a 46-year-old jogger was killed in a dog attack, a local expert gives advise on what to do if you're attacked by a dog.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Grosse Pointe Park's new farmer's market seen by some as a barrier to Detroit

Monday, July 28 2014 11:25 PM EDT2014-07-29 03:25:26 GMT
    Some Detroiters are calling for a boycott of Grosse Pointe Park after the city built a farmer's market that they believe cuts off access to and from Detroit.

Detroit teen recovering after basketball accident at park

Monday, July 28 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:51:50 GMT
    A Detroit teen is seriously hurt after an accident at a Detroit park. He has a long road to recovery ahead, but has a strong support system that isn't giving up hope.

Man shot, killed during carjacking on Detroit's west side

Monday, July 28 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-07-29 02:37:16 GMT
    A man was shot to death in an attempted carjacking on Detroit's west side, according to police.
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices