Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years

Posted: Updated:
Bob Bashara at his sentencing Monday in Detroit (Credit: Fox 2 News) Bob Bashara at his sentencing Monday in Detroit (Credit: Fox 2 News)

By Amy Lange
Fox 2 News

DETROIT (WJBK) -- "Throughout my life, I have tried to help those less fortunate," Bob Bashara told Judge Bruce Morrow on Monday.

Once seemingly a pillar of his tony Grosse Pointe Park community, a Rotarian who donated a million pounds of food,
clothing and books to those in need, Bashara asked for leniency from the judge in his sentencing.  He had earlier pled guilty to trying to have accused hit man Joseph Gentz killed.

"My name on a plaque means nothing to me.  What does mean something is being able to use your talents and your skills to help those less fortunate," said Bashara.

As his mother and other relatives looked on, prosecutors said Bashara showed no remorse and took no responsibility for his actions.  He disagreed.

"If someone is in my way, the solution is not to follow the rules of ordered society, but to hire someone to kill the person in my way, and that is what he did to Mr. Gentz," said Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran.

"I understand that I must pay for what I have done and absolutely stand before you and my family and the world to take responsibility for my actions," Bashara said.

Gentz, who is accused of killing Bashara's wife Jane back in January and claims Bob paid him to do it, had Susan Reed, his attorney, read his statement.

"I have been telling the truth from the beginning.  Bob has used me and threatened me.  He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed," Gentz's statement said.  "I was afraid for my life because he said he could get to me anywhere, even in jail."

In the end, the judge showed no leniency.

"I'm of the opinion that he should receive a sentence of 80 months to 240 months," Morrow said.

That's a minimum of six years and eight months to 20 years behind bars.

Bashara seemed to sit in court in disbelief.

"It's difficult.  Very emotional.  I mean, this is not an easy thing to go through, obviously," said Mark Kriger, his attorney.

The judge told Bashara he does get credit for time served, which is 168 days.

Up next is the trial for Joseph Gentz.  Meanwhile, it is still unclear whether or not Bashara will be charged in the murder of his wife.

• Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

Freedom from Religion debate heats up at Warren City Hall

Wednesday, April 16 2014 7:12 PM EDT2014-04-16 23:12:16 GMT
    Is Freedom of Religion the same concept as Freedom from Religion? That's the debate one Warren resident is raising at City Hall.

GM looking to bankruptcy court for lawsuit protection

Wednesday, April 16 2014 6:14 PM EDT2014-04-16 22:14:09 GMT
    General Motors says it will ask a federal bankruptcy judge to shield the company from legal claims involving conduct before its 2009 bankruptcy.

New lawyer comes aboard in Bashara case

Tuesday, April 15 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-04-15 22:33:50 GMT
    A man charged with arranging the murder of his wife at their suburban Detroit home has a new lawyer.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Jimmy Buffett returns to Comerica Park on July 26

Thursday, April 17 2014 11:23 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:23:48 GMT
    Jimmy Buffett will take the stage once again this summer at Detroit's Comerica Park. Olympia Entertainment announced Thursday that Buffett and his Coral Reefer Band will play one night only on Saturday, July 26 with special guest John Fogerty.

Body found in Lake Erie, crews look for 3 missing

Thursday, April 17 2014 11:15 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:15:54 GMT
    The U.S. Coast Guard says the body of a missing boater has been found in Lake Erie and they're continuing to search for three others off the Ohio shoreline.

Police: Break-in suspect shot, dies after crash

Thursday, April 17 2014 10:54 AM EDT2014-04-17 14:54:57 GMT
    Detroit police say a break-in suspect who was shot by homeowner has died after crashing a getaway vehicle into a nearby home on the city's west side.
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices