Carbon monoxide leak sends 25 students to hospitals - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

Carbon monoxide leak sends 25 students to hospitals

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

About 25 children were hospitalized in good condition after a carbon monoxide leak at a school in the Far South Side Burnside neighborhood Monday afternoon.

The children were suffering from nausea, vomiting and headaches before being hospitalized in good condition, according to Fire Media Affairs. Initially, 14 children were hospitalized.

A Level 1 HazMat was called about 12:45 p.m. for the leak at Harold Washington Elementary School at 9130 S. University Ave., according to Fire Media Affairs.

Firefighters ventilated the third floor of the building with fans and evaluated the students before sending them to hospitals.

The leak may have been due to a faulty boiler.

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices