Pizza place cuts delivery to Detroit after driver shot in chest - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

Pizza place cuts delivery to Detroit after driver shot in chest

Posted: Updated:
Timothy McKenna, 19 Timothy McKenna, 19
DEARBORN, Mich. (WJBK) -

The owners of a Jet's Pizza franchise in east Dearborn say their drivers will no longer deliver pizza in Detroit after dark. The decision comes after a 19-year-old delivery driver was shot in the chest after dropping off a pie on the city's west side.

Joan McKenna says her son, Timothy, returned to his car after delivering a pizza in the area of Penrod Street and Paul Avenue around midnight earlier this month. "He looked in his rearview mirror and saw a guy rushing up behind him and he knew exactly what it was," says McKenna.

Joan says a man held a gun to her son's head and demanded money. Timothy hit the gas to flee the scene, but not before the gunman fired one shot, hitting him in the chest. "He knew instinctively, 'I've got to get out of Detroit because I'll never get an ambulance here in time. I'll die here,'" says McKenna.

Fellow delivery driver Ali Mozham says McKenna was able to cross the border back into Dearborn where he called police from a Walmart parking lot. "The police, they came right away," says Mozham.

Timothy suffered a broken rib and a punctured lung. He was treated and released from a local hospital and is expected to fully recover. He'll attend Adrian College this fall.

Workers at the Jet's say drivers normally deliver pizza in Detroit in pairs. But on the night of the shooting, McKenna's partner, who carries a weapon on deliveries, left early. Now, the store will no longer deliver to the city after dark. "It's a dark time. We have to stop it right now," says Mozham.

"We're losing business, but still, we cannot risk our life," says another driver at the location.

Meanwhile, the gunman remains on the loose. Anyone with information is asked to call Detroit police.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • LIVE VIDEO: Hearing to decide if 3 of 4 face trial in mob attack on Steve Utash

    LIVE VIDEO: Hearing to decide if 3 of 4 face trial in mob attack on Steve Utash

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:58 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:58:28 GMT
    Three males ages 19 to 30 are in court for a hearing on whether they should stand trial for the severe beating of a suburban man who accidentally struck a 10-year-old with his pickup truck on Detroit's east side. WATCH LIVE COVERAGE.
    Three males ages 19 to 30 are in court for a hearing on whether they should stand trial for the severe beating of a suburban man who accidentally struck a 10-year-old with his pickup truck on Detroit's east side. WATCH LIVE COVERAGE.
  • 1 of 4 waives key hearing in Detroit mob attack on Steve Utash

    1 of 4 waives key hearing in Detroit mob attack on Steve Utash

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:52 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:52:13 GMT
    A 17-year-old charged with attempted murder in the beating of a Detroit-area motorist has waived his right to a probable cause hearing and will move his case directly to trial court.
    A 17-year-old charged with attempted murder in the beating of a Detroit-area motorist has waived his right to a probable cause hearing and will move his case directly to trial court.
  • Clutch Cargo's returns to religious roots

    Clutch Cargo's returns to religious roots

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:54 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:54:45 GMT
    Clutch Cargo's, a southeastern Michigan church building that spent several years as a nightclub, reopened as a house of worship on Easter Sunday.
    Clutch Cargo's, a southeastern Michigan church building that spent several years as a nightclub, reopened as a house of worship on Easter Sunday.
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices