Chicago dog nearly dies after eating rat poison in dog park - FOX 32 News Chicago

Chicago dog nearly dies after eating unmarked rat poison in dog park

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

A Chicago woman said her dog nearly died after eating rat poison in a downtown dog park.

Paula Woodley believes her dog, a two-year-old papillion named Pierre, ingested rat poison placed near the dog park section of Lake Shore East Park, near Columbus and Randolph. She says she rushed her dog to an animal emergency room on July 8 after Pierre began foaming at the mouth and coughing up blood.

"I thought I was gonna lose Pierre," Woodley said.

Woodley says the doctors immediately asked her if Pierre had eaten rat poison. She initially said no.

"Because I didn't see signs anywhere, I had no idea," she said.

That's when a friend told Woodley there were unmarked rat poison traps up against the fence of the dog park, as well as a nearby playground for children.

Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) says the poison was placed there by a contractor hired by a nearby condo association, not by the city. He says he ordered city crews to remove the poison after hearing about it.

"We've worked with them to make sure this doesn't happen again. Thank God there wasn't a dog killed by this," Reilly said.

After spending more than $9,000 on medical bills, Woodley says Pierre has fully recovered.

"I don't want this to happen to anybody again," Woodley said.

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices