Atlanta traffic court burdened by large number of cases - FOX 32 News Chicago

FOX 5 I-Team investigates

Atlanta traffic court burdened by large number of cases

Posted: Updated:
ATLANTA -

An I-Team investigation finds Atlanta traffic court is getting crushed under the pressure of ever-increasing cases, made worse by an outdated clerical system.

The I-Team's Dana Fowle says because of that, mistakes are being made that have put innocent people behind bars.

Robert Clinard says he was coming off Interstate 85 to merge with Interstate 20 when he saw blue lights, so he pulled over. He tried to dispute a speeding ticket, but says he realized very quickly he was dealing with a much bigger issue.

"At that point he tells me to get out of the car and he informs me that my driver license was suspended in February," said Clinard.

Instead of making it to a friend's funeral, Clinard ended up at Atlanta Pre-Trial Detention getting a mugshot.

Two years ago, Clinard got another ticket for running a red light.  A series of clerical errors with that ticket set off a chain reaction that eventually landed him in jail. Clinard says he tried to pay his first ticket online but couldn't find any information about it. So, he called an Atlanta city clerk for help.

"She says, ‘Well, I see what the problem is, they had your name in the system has Rosevelt instead of Robert.' And they also put, and this was the most important thing, they had put the citation number in incorrectly numerically," said Clinard.

In the weeks it took trying to sort out the error, Clinard missed his court date and had his license suspended.  Eventually he paid his fine and got his license reinstated.  He says he was assured it was settled, until his arrest two years later.

"And that's where everything just kind of went crazy," Clinard said.

Atlanta City Councilman H. Lamar Willis sits on the Public Safety Committee.

"The magnitude to which I'm being told that it is, is news to me and I'm sure would be news to my colleagues on Council, and frankly, would be news to the mayor," said Willis.

Two court insiders tell FOX 5 that as many as 2,000 citations a year have mistakes. Those mistakes can put people just one traffic stop away from possibly going to jail.

Councilman Willis wants a high-tech solution such as computerized citations. He hopes it can cut down on errors.

"It gives the person who is cited something to know very quickly if their names are spelled wrong. You don't have to deal with handwriting issues if someone doesn't write as neatly as others," said Willis.

Clinard still wonders if his troubles are over. When he showed up for a court date on an unrelated charge, he saw a familiar mistake.

"I'm looking at the court assignment docket and I looked up there and I see my first name, my last name. And I'm up there again and it has a Rosevelt," said Clinard.

To compound the problem, there are seven municipal court judge positions and four of them are empty.

• I-Team Story ArchiveMore>>

Patient: Hospice company failed me too

Wednesday, August 27 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-08-28 02:37:56 GMT
    The state is now looking into a defunct hospice provider originally investigated by the Fox 5 I-Team.

Hidden fees in checking accounts: Who's transparent, who's not

Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:10 AM EDT2014-08-27 12:10:06 GMT
    We already know about some of the fees our banks charge -- the monthly fee, the overdraft charge, out-of-network and minimum balance fees. That's standard stuff. But did you know that the average checking account has 30 fees attached?

Controversial Hindu preacher found guilty

Monday, August 25 2014 4:19 PM EDT2014-08-25 20:19:49 GMT
    A federal jury in Atlanta returned a guilty verdict on all 34 counts against a ?controversial Hindu preacher?.
  • Contact the FOX 5 I-Team

* denotes required fields

We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

Thanks for contacting FOX 5.  To reach our newsroom by phone, please call (404) 898-0100.

• Good Day ArchiveMore>>

Casting Call: August 27

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:42:30 GMT
    Check out the Good Day Atlanta Casting Call for the week of August 27.
    Check out the Good Day Atlanta Casting Call for the week of August 27.
  • Good Day Atlanta

From bean to cup: Inside Smyrna's Rev Coffee Roasters

From bean to cup: Inside Smyrna's Rev Coffee Roasters

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:02:31 GMT
    If you're idea of a good cup of coffee is something strong from the old one-cup in your kitchen, it's time for a coffee education!

Nonprofit pairs shelter dogs with jail inmates

Monday, September 1 2014 1:24 PM EDT2014-09-01 17:24:57 GMT
    There is a program giving inmates and dogs a second chance. Canine Cellmates saves dogs from being euthanized and pairs them up with inmates at the Fulton County Jail.
Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices