Hanna's girlfriend says North Chicago police lying about death - FOX 32 News Chicago

Hanna's girlfriend says North Chicago police lying about death

Updated: May 02, 2012 19:20 PM CDT
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

The girlfriend of the man beaten and tazed by North Chicago police is telling Fox Chicago News that his death didn't have to happen -- and that police are not telling the truth about the incident.

Darrin Hanna died last November.

His girlfriend, Dionne Wilcox, says, "I loved Darrin a lot and I'm not ever gonna see him. My baby don't have a daddy."

In her first television interview, Wilcox tells Fox Chicago News 
she agreed to talk because's she upset that the North Chicago Police officers accused of causing her boyfriend's death went back to work..

Wilcox and Hanna were both put in handcuffs in the apartment, the night Hanna was arrested.

She says, "I heard the stomping and the tasers went off six times and I heard a lot of ruffling and rangling all that stuff and you know, stomps and (the taser sounded like) 'shhhhhh---shhhh-shhhh'---like that."

Six North Chicago officers and their superviser were put on leave after an independent investigation showed Hanna was beaten and tased, AFTER he was cuffed.

At a news conference last week, the mayor of North Chicago and interim Police Chief said the officers were "justified" because Hanna was trying to kill Wilcox and their unborn child by drowning her in the bathtub.

Wilcox says that never happened and because Wilcox had not taken her medicine for ADHD and bipolar disorder and she says "she" didn't write out a police report....someone else did.

She says, "They was writing my statement for me...I didn't write it."

"He wasn't even trying to drown me. That's it, my face didn't even get in the water, my body was actually sitting in the water to rest my body down. I guess I was hyper and he was never trying to drown me."

The Hanna family says if Hanna had been trying to drown Wilcox, he would have been charged with attempted murder and that never happened. 

Hanna died five days after the incident.

The officers have all been named in a federal wrongful death suit.

Powered by WorldNow

205 N. Michigan Avenue
Ground Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
Station Operator: (312) 565-5532
Newsroom: (312)565-5533

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices