Cook County Board President Todd Stroger may have lost his bid for re-election, but he's still remembering many of the people who helped run his campaign.
Fox Chicago News has uncovered two more contracts given to Stroger campaign workers without approval from the Cook County Board.
Delane Adams and Raymond Harris served as campaign managers for Stroger in July 2009, before leaving for unspecified reasons. Both tell Fox Chicago they received contracts from Stroger's office in the weeks following their departure.
Adams said he is involved in promoting community outreach events for Stroger, and Harris said he got a $24,999 contract to help Cook County negotiate contracts with its labor unions. Harris said he is paid only for the work he performs and has collected about $4,200 to date.
That $24,999 is significant because any contract more than $25,000 must be approved by Cook County Commissioners.
Fox Chicago News reported last week a public relations company owned by Stroger's Deputy Chief of Staff, Carla Oglesby, received a $24,975 contract eight days after Oglesby was hired. The contract was sent to Oglesby's office for approval and she signed a voucher form approving the payment to her company.
Oglesby has been placed on unpaid leave until the Cook County Inspector General completes an investigation into her contract.
In February Stroger also awarded a $24,995 contract to a Washington D.C.-area consulting firm owned by his former campaign treasurer, Vincent Fry.
On Tuesday the Cook County Board expressed its frustration with the contracts by passing legislation requiring virtually all county contracts over $750 be reported to the Board within 72 hours.
President Stroger defended the use of the so-called "24-9" contracts. Stroger said Commissioners have attempted to throttle all of his public policy initiatives, and he needs to be able to quickly order contracts and make payments for services which he believes are necessary.